Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Almond Scones

The only time of day the house is quiet is after 9pm.  Well, unless you count before 6am but I don't even remember the last time I saw that part of the day.  I've been hitting the books pretty hard.  I read three books in January which, for me, is intense reading. 

Tonight though, in the magical quiet, I baked almond scones.  I don't even think I liked scones until a friend gave me this recipe.  Like would be an understatement.
I'm pretty sure these scones will be in heaven. 

~Kate 


Almond Scones

Ingredients:
3 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 t. cream of tartar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. cold butter
1 egg
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 t. almond extract
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Directions:

In large bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Cut butter into smaller chunks and cut into flour mixture with pastry blender until course crumbs form.  Set aside.  In small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk and almond extract.  Add to flour/butter mixture and stir with fork until mixed in.  Turn dough onto floured board and briefly knead in chocolate chips.  Separate into three portions (for larger scones, divide into 2 portions).  Pat each portion into a 1 inch thick circle (about 6 in in diameter).  Cut each portion into 8 wedges (like a pizza).  Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes on 425 degrees.  Remove and cool on cookie sheet a couple of minutes and then on cooling rack.  Drizzle with icing.

Icing:
1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
2 T. milk
1/2 tsp almond extract

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...