Monday, September 24, 2012

Yes, Chef

One of my goals for 2012 was to read at least a book a month.  Some of my other goals have been a complete fail, so far, but I'm on target with this one.  Here's my list of books I've finished since January:
  1. Veneer
  2. A Million Miles in a Thousand Years
  3. Start Something That Matters
  4. Bird by Bird
  5. Beneath the Lion's Gaze
  6. The Kite Runner
  7. Organized Simplicity
  8. In Defense of Food
  9. The Perfectly Imperfect Home
  10. Yes, Chef
  11. NurtureShock
I just finished Yes, Chef.  Because our daughter, Addis, is Ethiopian, books about Ethiopia are of special interest to me.  This is the memoir of Marcus Samuelsson, who was born in Ethiopia, adopted by a Swedish family, and has now become a world-renowned chef.
  

I especially enjoyed reading about when he traveled back to Africa, as an adult, and met his biological father.  I appreciated how he describes life in Addis Ababa [the capital of Ethiopia] and the sights, smells, and food.
 

 

Reading about his experiences in Addis make my own more real.  I traveled to Addis Ababa twice but most of the time it feels like a dream.  Ethiopia is another world.  The contrast of life in Ethiopia and my life in America is so vast...I can't process or comprehend it.
 


Marcus wrote about how he stayed at the Sheraton Addis during his visit.  I stopped at this very hotel numerous times during our two brief stays in Ethiopia.  I even had a lunch on the Sheraton's outdoor patio.
 

I ate the traditional Ethiopian foods he describes.  There is such a contrast with the luxury of the Sheraton and the extreme poverty right outside its gates.  There is beauty in Ethiopia ... the people, mountains, endless summer, coffee ceremonies, artistry of thatched roof huts.  Yet, life is hard, in a way most Americans cannot understand.
 



I want to hold on to the memories so, in some way, I can tell my daughter of her birthplace.  She is two years old now.  If you ask her where she was born, she will answer, "E-OPIA!"  Yes.  I want it to be natural to talk about with her.  Just like I tell my older two children the story of their birth, I tell Addis, often when I'm rocking her and she's sleepy, about our airplane trip from Ethiopia to bring her home.  

It really did happen.  Proof is watching her.  Here.  Now. 

4 comments:

Becky said...

How well I remember sitting in that cafe with tiny Addis looking around at all the new sights! We are planning to travel back in a couple of years, and I can't wait!

Kate said...

I'm glad you and others were there on our trips! It was an amazing experience to share. Further proof that it really happened. Yes, we would LOVE to go back too someday.

Farm-Raised said...

La la loved the book!! I think so many of us will forever search for clues about Ethiopia and forever quest to understand the place from which our children come. I loved his take on it. And your photos are lovely. Can I steal the one of the coffee ceremony? It's too beautiful!!!

Kate said...

Leslie,
Have you read any other good books about Ethiopia? Yes, of course, snag the picture. I actually just emailed it to you, to the email address I found on your website. Yes, it was a beautiful moment...when our group was served coffee immediately after meeting our kids.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...