Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Clothing Fast: 365 Days

I've decided.  I'm taking a year off from buying clothes. 

I have been intrigued by the idea and inspired by my friend, Leslie, who resolved in January not to buy any new clothes for a year.   Read about it here.  

My reasons?  
  • I wonder what this experience could teach me over the year.  
  • I dislike consumerism and a disposable mentality 
  • I think by eliminating all new clothes for a year it could help me to focus on more important things.
  • I have enough.  Tomorrow I am going to post about what's in my closet.
  • It will cause me to take care of what I have more.  
  • It will push me to be more creative with what I wear and use what I have. 
  • When my fast is over, I think I will buy fewer things but higher quality, staple pieces. 
  • For me, it's not really about money, although I'm sure it will save time, money, and mental energy.  I'll be free from trying on clothes in fitting rooms for a year! 

I may be overly ambitious right now.  I just had my birthday and, as a result, have more cute things in my closet. I'm feeling set with my birthday gifts and fall things.  I'm pretty sure it might wear off come spring.


I've decided my fast will be from my 35th birthday 'til my 36th. I'm kind of rounding down but birthday 'til birthday will be easy to remember.  I must confess, I have bought brown, leather boots since my birthday.  They are beauties.  I didn't know I was going to start the fast when I bought them but good thing I squeaked them in before the fast started!   

I am going to give myself a little liberty to purchase new socks and underwear through the year.  I mean really.  

Other than than, no new clothes for one year unless they are gifted.  If I'm desperately in need of something, I may give myself permission to thrift  [minimally].  Also, if there's an emergency...say my swimsuit breaks.  Well, you never know, it could happen.  

I'd love someone to join me on my adventure.  Send me a message or comment if you'd like to.  I'd also love to hear reasons why you would or wouldn't do it or what you think it might teach you.  Do you think it's crazy?  Talk to me. 



Linking up with The Better Mom.

7 comments:

Casey said...

Love. This. :)

I hardly buy new clothes ever. But when I do I buy things that can easily be pieced together (layers). The styles now are SO agreeable to layers, mixing polka dots with stripes, etc. I am in an awkward stage trying to lose my baby weight, so instead of buying new clothes to fit this stage I am just layering the clothes I do have to cover up the areas of my body I am "working on" :) LOL! Simple things like wearing a belt around your dress/shirt and adding a scarf to a regular old outfit can make you feel like you just got something new! If you mix and match your accessories with old clothes it can spice it up! Anyways, I think your clothes fast is SO cool and I pray it blesses you and is an example to others! My philosophy is, spend less so you can give more :) Love, Casey

Farm-Raised said...

Awesome!! I can't wait to read about how this goes for you!! I hope you'll check in periodically on your blog. I HIGHLY recommend reading "Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion" by Elizabeth L. Cline. I wish we lived closer--I'd loan you my copy. Anyway, she will further motivate you, I'm sure! Frankly, I cannot wait until January of 2013 when my fast ends; however, this has been an awesome experience and road of discovery. And I am positive that I will be a totally different consumer now than I was less than a year ago.

I can't wait to hear about your observations along the way. Just remember: don't beat yourself up over the slip-ups, should they happen; we're only human. And also, don't even try to go to your favorite stores (or websites), they'll get you!! :-)

Good luck!!

Kate said...

Leslie,
I love reading your blog and appreciate the thoughtfulness you give to things. Yes, I checked out "Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion" from the library after I read your Radish article. Congratulations on doing so well on your fast! January isn't so far away. You should definitely buy a nice, quality piece for me!

Kate said...

Casey,
Thanks for the input and encouragement! I'm curious...how do you "hardly buy new clothes ever"? I don't feel like I buy a lot but every season I feel like I have a need for a few things and buy this or that to fill a gap. And, yes, I love layers, and this is the best season for that!

Unknown said...

I think I just might join you on your adventure, Kate ... but I'm going to wait and start in January as a New Year's resolution.

My family moved this year and I've noticed exactly how much stuff we have. I've been feeling convicted about having wasted our money on things that are now stored in our basement. Especially when so many people in this world go without. I know I have too many clothes, so I'm going to try to make 2013 my year of a clothing fast.

I hope your fast goes well!

Cayenne said...

Kate. I found this article today about a woman who did the same thing as you, adding in a haircut, no make-up etc. It made me think about you and your clothing fast!

Here it is:

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/young-mother-gives-8216-beauty-8217-one-172800426.html

Kate said...

Hilary,
Did you start a clothing fast and how's it going?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...