Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Fabric of Our Lives

[Image: Kate Bosworth, a face of cotton, via ]

The other day I was thinking I should write an update on my clothing fast.  You know, tell how things are going.  I was feeling like, you know...it's time.  Then I realized it had been 10 DAYS since my first post with my goal.  10.  Days.  

What have I done?!

Clearly, this is going to be harder for me than I originally thought...if I feel like 10 days is a celebration.

I've been a good girl.  I have not purchased any clothing.  I mostly haven't been in any clothing stores.  

Already I'm rethinking how I will purchase clothes differently when this fast is over.  Maybe this is a little premature, to be thinking how I'll shop, since I have another 300 plus days left on the fast.

I'll share what I'm thinking for you, since someone else must be shopping.  I'm also surprised by the feedback I've gotten.  More than a few people have told me they have considerably less clothes than I do.  I still can't believe this.  I don't think I have a lot of clothes.  Either I must be in denial or those who have more clothes don't tell.  

#1.  I would buy fewer but higher quality items.  
  • Example, I got this solid black, long sleeved, v-neck, 100% cotton top for my birthday.  Fits great.  Goes with almost everything.  It looks just as good as it did a month ago and I've worn it and washed it a few times.  I also got another top, a thin, lacey, rayon, nylon one.  I don't think it's going to last long.

#2.  I would buy more natural fiber clothes.  
  • I'd read labels to see what they are made of and say no [more often] to nylon, polyester, synthetics, and yes to more cotton.  Clothes that last longer [cotton, wool, silk, cashmere, or blends of those].  Makes me think of the cotton commercials.  "The fabric of our lives".  Love this one with Zooey Deschanel.  
Or this one...


And this one.  Ok, enough.  I just love them.  

#3.  I would buy more staples.
  • The building blocks of a wardrobe.  Things along the lines of this list.  Since I started my fast I realized I don't have a pair of black dress pants.  They'd be good to have.  I'd get a few more of the "essentials" and less of the rest.    

I do have a pair of black, yoga pants.  Not appropriate for the job interview but perfect for days like today.  I hope they last all year.  


Linking up with The Better Mom.

5 comments:

Ronnell Kay Gibson said...

Since reading about your fast, I have been reevaluating my wardrobe. I agree with having more "staples" and less, "extra". I too bought a cute lacey top earlier this summer (so cute I paid ALMOST full price) - it made it through the summer, but it's questionable for next year. I have a 30% off coupon for Kohls, and I will be thinking of you as I use this coupon VERY WISELY!

Kate said...

Ronnell,
Have fun! :) Buy something good.

Michelle Renee said...

Good job Kate! 10 days IS an accomplishment because you are learning...that's a win! I like your suggestions so far- so true! When I embarked on my 90 days of gratefulness journey on my blog, I thought it would be easy....NOT SO MUCH! hahaha...but I'm learning....and that's a win :)

Naomi said...

Kate...what a good challenge to teach us to be more frugal even with our clothes. Thank you for sharing at WJIM. Blessings.

Tiffany said...

This is awesome! I've actually been thinking of doing the same, since watching Blue Like Jazz a few weeks ago. But I dared not tell anyone, since that seemed to me like the first step to actually having to go through with something as scary as a clothing fast! BTW: You are NOT in denial. I can't believe how small your wardrobe is - for a girl! I seriously wouldn't post every article of clothing I have. The time it would take to count everything would be ridiculous, and I'd be sorely embarrassed anyway. Good on you! I'll have to think on this whole idea a bit more...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...