Thursday, August 2, 2012

Addie's [African] Hair Care

I feel like Addie was seriously ripped off when it comes to a mother and her hair care.  I'm learning.  Prior to her coming home it was cut short.  Then once she got home it started falling out and I wondered if it was due to how I was caring for it?  The doctor seemed to think it was due to malnutrition.  Well, the hair...it's been growing!

What I've learned...
  1. I was washing it too much [and the shampoo was too harsh] so I cut that down to once a week and used an organic shampoo [Shea Moisture Organic Baby Wash & Shampoo, which is without sulfates & parabens].  
  2. Her hair is very thirsty.  I used organic coconut oil as conditioner by liquefying it and spraying it on her hair after her bath.  Recently I added Shea Moisture Hold & Shine Moisture Mist and would spray on in the morning before styling.  
  3. On styling, up to this point I have mastered the "puffs".  Which on a good day look something like this...


But let's be real, a lot of days, it looks more like this...


Lately I've been on a hunt for the best hair products for her so I put the question out to other adoptive parents in our Ethiopian travel group.  Teach me.  Tell me.  Help me!  I got lots of great input and bought this new product, Aubrey Organics Moisturizing Conditioner, which I've been leaving in Addie's hair instead of washing it out [more great advice from another mom]. The earlier mentioned products didn't seem to be moisture intensive enough on their own. 

This week I tried a new style.  The "twists".  She was happy to let me twist it while she was in the tub. 


Oh, my goodness, I think it is just the cutest on her.  Maybe this is a bit more as her beautiful African hair should be?  And that makes me happy. 

~Kate

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Great job on the twists...super cute! I have only mastered puffs as well. I'm observing others while they braid but not sure I will ever gain that skill. :-)

Becky said...

LOVE the twists! I hope she is more patient with hair styling than Lily is. :) I find parting hair to be the biggest challenge... but I'm getting better with practice. Happy Girl Hair (now defunct blog) has some great tutorials on hair care and styling. Also, "Girls Love Your Curls" on youtube. :)

Kate said...

Thanks, Becky, for your comment and tips. Your input on the question I posted on the OMS group was very helpful. And, no, Addie is not patient with hair styling!

angie leverence said...

Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

She's adorable. I use Shea Moisture's shampoo as well because my hair is naturally curly and hates regular shampoo. I also use the Shea Moisture Moisturizing Lotion, it has done wonders with both my and my daughters hair. I think you're doing awesome, way to go on stopping the use of sulfates though, they are really hard on curls:)

Kate said...

Latoya,
Thank you and thanks for the recommendation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...