Sunday, June 3, 2012

Relationship to patient

Questions can be hard.

"How much did she weigh at birth?" 
"Was she born prematurely?"
"What is her mother's medical history and health conditions?"
"What is her father's medical history and health conditions?"
"What is her birth story?" 
  and on and on...

I don't know.

I know she came into care at a very bleak orphanage in Ethiopia when she was between 2-3 weeks old [estimated].  While she was arriving there...I was in America celebrating the 4th of July. 

Often these questions cause me to think of Addis' biological mother.  Her unknown mother.  I imagine they spent the first weeks of Addis' life together.  I believe adoption is beautiful but often the road that leads to it is full of tragedy and pain.  Because of the bond between mother and child, I know she must grieve the loss of her daughter.  She gave Addis the gift of life.  Now I am the one Addis calls mama.  Something about it just doesn't seem fair. 

Addis was born in rural Ethiopia.  There is no birth record.  Women of the village most likely assisted with her birth in a hut. The way a baby comes into the world in America would seem unbelievably absurd in contrast.   [Birthing center?  Fetal monitoring?  Epidural?]  
 
Addis Nigat.  I loved her before I even met her.  It's amazing how that is even possible.  

Just this week I took her to the doctor's office.  I can not answer most of the doctor's questions about her medical history.  Then they ask me to sign the forms.  I sign my name.  The next line reads- "Relationship to patient" and I write...MOTHER.

I'm so incredibly thankful for the privilege, 
~Kate 

[Our trip to the doctor was for an orthopedic evaluation for her c-shaped foot.  The doctor said this was caused due to her position in her mother's uterus.  It was another reminder of the woman who carried her.  It was a good report on the foot, most likely, it can be easily corrected.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite post ever. I remember so many conversations about Addie before she came home...the anticipation of knowing her! She is a treasure and you are her mother! Sweet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...