Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Real Stretch [pilates]

I went to the gym.  Now maybe that doesn't sound like anything to you.  For me, it's nearly unbelievable.  It's like another [foreign] world. 

Over a decade ago I dabbled in working out at my work facility's gym with some co-workers.  Mostly I remember toning my arms.  That's about the extent of my lifelong relationship with athletics.

My 16 year old sister visited us this spring and we had a jump rope face off [in front of our cheering family].  Her movements were so graceful, fluid, and beautiful to watch.  Next up: me.  I got the job done.  Very efficiently too, I might add.  Nothing graceful about it.  "Flailing" is the term I heard to describe my movements.  [awkward]

I digress, back to my workout.  This week I went to Pilates class!  I wasn't really sure what is was but it seemed like something good for me when I read the description:

"Improves muscle strength, core stability, posture, flexibility, and provides relaxation techniques." 

I sat on this mat in a room full of strangers.  Mostly women.  One man as old as my grandpa.  Another guy, intellectually like a young child, who freely communicated his thoughts and feelings throughout the hour. 

We did many exercises.  At one point, the instructor had us lay on our backs and point our leg(s) straight at the ceiling.  Sounds easy, right?  My leg was nowhere near straight.  So the instructor brought me a strap to pull my leg straight.  I didn't expect it to be as difficult as it was or maybe I didn't expect my muscles to be so tight.  Many times I looked at the [pretzel like] instructor and thought, oh yeah, I can do that...and then after trying thought...you've got to be kidding, that is really hard!  

[this is not my silhouette just in case you, by chance, thought it was.]

Yet it was relaxing and definitely stress relieving.  I loved the pace and the atmosphere.  The music would have put me to sleep if it wasn't for the crunching of my abs.  It's not a fast paced, sweat dripping routine, but, oh, it creeps up on you...this morning when I woke up I was sore.  But I can hardly wait to go back for more.  


~Kate

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...