Monday, June 11, 2012

ISTJ marries ENFP

I've had marriage on my mind.
The Mr. and I have been talking about how to grow and better understand each other.  We are trying, but with our most recent snags, it appears we still need improvement.  I've heard conflict is a good thing...so, that helps me feel a little better.

If you were to listen to some of our conversations it might be confusing to you since we now talk in word pictures fairly often to each other....commonly using metaphors of yapping dogs, cars, sticks, porcelain, war, and picnics.  I think this helps us to "get" each other.  Either that or we are just getting crazier the longer we are together.  Recently, we looked at our personality types to learn how to love each other better.  The Myers-Briggs personality profile is a very common tool and here are the results for us.  

I am the ISTJ "The Duty Fulfiller"= Introverted.  Sensing.  Thinking.  Judging.  
He is the ENFP.  "The Inspirer"= Extroverted.  Intuitive.  Feeling.  Perceiving.  

Through the years quite a few people have made comments about us having more difficult personality types to synchronize.  Our personalities are opposites.  We were both attracted to a person who approaches life differently.  We are a great team when we harmonize.  We bring different strengths to life.  Living daily life together, with opposite personalities, can be a challenge.  If it wasn't so real it would be really funny.  This month it has been fourteen years spent learning to dance together [another metaphor].  

What does me being an "ISTJ" and him an "ENFP" mean? It looks something like this...

I am introverted.  He is extroverted. 
I like a plan.  He likes to keep it flexible and make the plan as we go.
I am detail oriented.  He doesn't place much importance on detailed tasks. 
I am task oriented.  He is people oriented. 
I seek security.  He is a risk taker.  
I am traditional.  He is naturally casual.
I fight perfectionism.  He thinks close enough is satisfactory.   
I often am uncomfortable expressing emotion to others.  He's more emotionally expressive.
I am practical.  He is a dreamer.  
I take things seriously.  He is lighthearted. 
I am organized and efficient.  He is imaginative and likes to try new things.  
I have a strongly felt internal sense of duty.  He is inspired. 
I have respect for facts.  He is an idea person.
I over-think things.  He often says "I haven't thought about it".
I have a hard time playing until the work is done.  He doesn't.  
I enjoy order and beauty in the home.  He is spontaneous and fun-loving.  
I love him.  He loves me.    

Our future is bright.
We need God's strength for living the better way with patience and kindness and His grace for our challenges.  Here's to a great summer together with a few more "days at the beach".

~Kate 

my Mr. and "mini-me"

4 comments:

Amber said...

wow this is so beautiful! I love that! We each are made differently and that is okay! Amen! Love is an amazing thing!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are celebrating our 14th anniversary this year-I'm an ENFP and he's ISTJ...life would be boring if we were all the same, God enjoys our differences and has blessed our marriage...enjoyed your writing...such a good evaluation of the opposite personalities. wishing you the best!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is like looking into a mirror. I'm an ENFP and I'm about to marry my ISTJ after 8 years she sounds exactly like you. We laugh a lot, I prat around sing, dance and act a bit silly and she's never impressed or amused in the slightest. But she's laughing inside.. I think. Either way I'd be absolutely lost without her.

Great post.. certainly fills me with confidence about our future. Thanks.

Laura said...

Opposites attract, I'm told!!! I am an ISFJ and my husband ENTP! Wow, we've certainly had our misunderstandings and disagreements. But it's nice to have someone balance you out, isn't it? Once you start talking to each other again... lol :)

Found your blog through 10 on 10 -- looks great! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...