Thursday, October 18, 2012

Racial Awareness

Addie [28 months] is becoming more self aware.  I remember, in our adoption training class which was almost four years ago now, hearing about how kids will realize skin color fairly young [I think around 2-3 yrs?].  I think it's happening.  We've been telling Addie she was born in Ethiopia.  She realizes that is a place on our globe.  She connects that Marcus Samuelsson is also from Ethiopia.  So, the other day, Addie's daddy took her to the library.  When she saw a few black women sitting together she pointed at them and started yelling...."E-OPIA!!"  She is also into naming her colors.  This is pink.  That is purple.  She will also say her hair is brown.  She is discovering.  I think sometimes she is even giving special treatment to black people.  Like a nod of the head or an extra fist bump.  Maybe I'm imagining it.  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way Addie says "Eopia". Pretty darn cute. Today when we were at the zoo Jameson saw a boy he said looked like Jude: "mom.. that boy has white skin AND hair.. just like Jude".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...