Thursday, July 5, 2012

Going Home

I've been absent from the blog.  We were on a week long vacation in Minnesota and, as our kids said, we were "guests" in our old hometown.  It was our first time back, since we moved to Wisconsin seven months ago, to the quiet, little town that was our home for 10 years.  

The whole trip was rather sentimental for me.  First, we visited the [little] town where I spent my childhood [on the shores of Lake Superior].  Late one night we drove by my childhood homes.  My mind was trying to retrieve the memories.  I can almost hear the childrens' voices and play from decades ago.  Then we went to visit my parents who have moved back to the town where I lived as a teenager.  It feels kind of like entering a dream. 

Then later on in the week we drove by the [two] homes my husband and I owned.  I know they are just houses but they represent a time in life for me. 

I miss the window boxes at our first house.  [It was there I discovered my love for flowers.]


I miss the porch at our second house.  [It was there I fell in love with coffee.] They were happy things I loved.


We had a beautiful week spent with friends and family.  It makes me appreciate the gift of friendship.  It reminds me of how you just never know where you might find a friend and how life is so much richer when we experience life together.  I'm thankful.  I always knew leaving would be hard and it has been.   I'll always look back on those years as a sweet time, not without challenges, but sweet. 

The hard thing about moving is you can feel a little displaced.  The new place doesn't feel like home [yet].  The old place isn't home.  Where I grew up seems like another life ago. 

I once told my husband I could live nearly anywhere so long as he was with me [and now our three little honeys too!].  I mean it.  Home is with them.  I'm thankful for the sound of childrens' voices and play in our home.  I'm thankful for our third home which is becoming home.  We are planting our roots and growing.


We had a wonderful week away.  It's good to be home. 

~Kate

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...